This wordlist is generally used by students preparing for GRE.
Short Definition : painting in only one color; ADJ.
Short Definition : design composed of one or more initials of a name; V.
(noun) a graphic symbol consisting of 2 or more letters combined (usually your initials); printed on stationery or embroidered on clothing
Short Definition : scholarly article
(noun) a detailed and documented treatise on a particular subject
Short Definition : solidly uniform; unchangeable; unyielding; N. monolith: large block of stone
(adj) imposing in size or bulk or solidity
- massive oak doors
- Moore's massive sculptures
- the monolithic proportions of Stalinist architecture
- a monumental scale
(adj) characterized by massiveness and rigidity and total uniformity
- a monolithic society
- a monolithic worldwide movement
Short Definition : belief in one God
(noun) belief in a single God
Short Definition : sameness leading to boredom; monotonousness; ADJ. monotonous; CF. monotone
(noun) the quality of wearisome constancy, routine, and lack of variety
- he had never grown accustomed to the monotony of his work
- he was sick of the humdrum of his fellow prisoners
- he hated the sameness of the food the college served
(noun) constancy of tone or pitch or inflection